Saturday, March 31, 2012

Shrimp Toast

I am planning to make shrimp toast for dinner.  If you've ever had Dim Sum before then you're familiar with this dish.  Dim Sum is like little plates of different kind of foods similar to a 1-2 bites food good for 1-4 people or more.  Usually you get other dishes-LOTS of other dishes too  so you would have a variety of 5-8 foods.  I know it's a bite or two multiply that times 5 different dishes.  They also serve larger portions.  The menu varies from Shrimp Toast, Egg rolls, Shu Mai, Pot stickers that type of dishes to Chicken Feet, some kind of tripe, and other dishes.  I am not a "hardcore" Chinese food eater.  I usually stick to Chicken, noodles, ToFu that kind of dishes.

The Shrimp Toast is my own version.  I don't measure anything.  I will post pictures later when it is time to make it.   I use frozen kind in a bag with the tail on that is raw.  Pretty much just have to peel off the shell.

Shrimp a handful or two or more depending on how many people are eating
Salt and pepper,
green onions- cut to small pieces green and white about  part 2 stems
crushed red pepper flakes
garlic salt
sesame oil -optional
Mirin (rice wine vinegar) - optional
white bread- has to be white bread (let it sit out to dry on both sides)
2 eggs scrambled
oil 


Shrimp use a food processor to make it to a paste or can chop with knife to resemble paste (a little mushy) add all ingredients just put in a dash to three depending on how much shrimp you have.

Put shrimp mixture to the bread.  You can leave the crust on or cut it out.  It's up to you.
Spread it like you would peanut butter- you can make it thin or a bit thicker.  Sometimes my last few pieces are thin because I am running out of the shrimp mixture.  I hate to waste the bread.
Then dip to scrambled egg on both sides.  Dip enough to make them wet but not soggy.

Pour oil in the pan add enough to cover the lower half of the bread slice.
Put bread with the shrimp side down first.
 Fry till brown about 3-5 minutes then flip over.
Drain on paper towels.

You can serve as an appetizer or main dish.  I serve mine with steamed white rice.  I also have Chili garlic sauce huy fong.
http://www.amazon.com/Chili-Garlic-Sauce-Huy-Fong/dp/B000Z4JISQ
Most supermarkets carry them now.  You can also use sweet and sour sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment